Paulo's Place

Anything - and I mean anything - on the wacky, bored mind of Paulo Camacho.

Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Stupid News Stories

I heard this story on "Armstrong & Getty" this morning, and I couldn't believe it. Then, I read this story on the Associated Press, and I still couldn't believe it. Not that it happened, but that it's even news!

Apparently, a doctor by the name of Terry Bennett is being investigated by his Board of Supervisors because he told a woman, who happened to be obese, and I quote, "You need to get on a program, join a group of like-minded people and peel off the weight that is going to kill you." Now, the woman, obviously, was offended by this remark. Truth hurts, right? But, hey, if you're fat, you're fat. If you're obese, you're obese, and your doctor should be the person who tells you that. Dr. Bennett insists that he just wanted to get his point across, that she needed to lose weight.

Now, here's my thing - first of all, this situation has gotten completely out of control. His board of Supervisors is threatening reprimand, even revokation of rights to practice medicine, pending investigation. All because he told some fat person the truth! In the words of Jack Armstrong: "Get over it. People need to be heartier."

Look, I, too, am an overweight, medically obese guy, so I kinda know how bad it feels when someone tells you you're fat. Or, at least I can relate. But, the point is, this girl needs to face facts - she's obese, and if she wants to continue living, she should work on losing some weight! What's so wrong with that? Like I said, Truth hurts. Deal with it. Don't turn on the doctor who finally spoke up about it. It's a simple case of killing the messenger. It's stupid. Lose some weight, woman, and leave the good doctor alone!

And, another thing ... WHY IS THIS NEWS?!!!! For God's sake - "Woman offended by Doc's obesity advise?" Why do we need to know this? What the hell makes this National news? Seriously, to me, this isn't news - it's an office anecdote. It's something your co-workers bring up at the water cooler to break the ice. It's ridiculous. Get it outta here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home