Paulo's Place

Anything - and I mean anything - on the wacky, bored mind of Paulo Camacho.

Saturday, August 20, 2005

Fantasy Football Drafting: My Take

Now, I've been listening to a bunch of radio guys, reading a bunch of websites, and hearing a bunch of people and their takes on how to have a successful fantasy draft. Everyone has their opinions on how to win at Fantasy. "It's all about running backs," "take a good QB", bla bla bla.

Look. I've only been drafting for three years, and I don't presume to know everything - anything, rather - about putting out a successful draft, but let me tell you something. In my experience, it's all about planning at first, then drafting on the fly.

Some of the things you hear are true - like, when planning your draft, you want to gun for the best RB's on the board. It's based on common sense - the way most leagues are set up, RB's get owners the most points. 2nd comes the quarterbacks - field generals. Why these two, some ask? The answer's quite simple - both positions touch the ball the most. Common sense, right? Two offensive games - Running, and passing.

Nonetheless ... I know that everyone drafts different. I realize that. I'm just going to be giving you my perspective on how I usually draft for a fantasy team. So, here we go.

First of all, you have to understand which players you want. The obvious ones are the first ones you actually overlook - in my opinion, if those players are on the board when it comes to you to make your first or second pick, more often than not, you're going to take them. It's the not-so-obvious standouts that will make or break your team. For me, whenever I draft, I look at the obvious picks, but I look forward to which second-tier position players will be there when I pick again, or, if I'm lucky, other first-tier position players that fall to me.

Second of all, have a draft strategy, but be flexible with it as the draft goes on. For me, it really changes depending on which pick you have. This is important: have the knowledge to predict which players will be available when your pick comes up. For example, if you have the ninth or tenth pick out of ten, Priest Holmes is most likely NOT going to be there when your pick comes up, so don't count on him being there. At nine or ten, the real stud RBs will most likely be off the board. If not, take a stud RB; if they are, switch it up - go for a top-tier QB.

Third of all, be wary of bye weeks. I know this is an obvious point, but when owners build their teams, they tend to go for the best available. Look at it this way: You'd be crying tears of joy if you could grab a fantasy team with Daunte Culpepper, Priest Holmes, Tiki Barber, Randy Moss, Plaxico Burress and Tony Gonzalez. But, you'll be just plain crying come week 5. Trust me - if you don't pay attention, it'll hurt you during the season.

The way I see it, most of the time, I spend my first three picks on, what I call, my "triumverate" of players - a stud RB, QB and WR. After that, it's all about strengthening player depth. Now, that main goal can change if, in the second or third round, I see another RB or WR on the board, that I think will be gone by the time I have my next pick.

After establishing a base of stud players, the next objective is to gun for depth. Other owners will most likely go for elite TE's, kickers and Defenses at this point - between about the 6th and 8th rounds. I suggest you don't fall into that trap - deepen WR and RB depth here. For every Antonio Gates, Tony Gonzalez, Mike Vanderjagt or Ravens Defense that flies off the board, there is an Anquan Boldin, Brandon Stokley, LaMont Jordan or J.J Arrington that they neglected to take, available for you to steal. Trust me - even in the late rounds, there will be a Marcus Pollard, Alge Crumpler, Jermaine Wiggins, Ryan Longwell, Jason Elam or Eagles Defense available for you.

Finally, as an essential rule, be on your toes when it comes to live drafts. I say this for two reasons. First, there will be times when your pick is about to come up, that a player you covet will be off the board either the pick before yours or a couple picks before. If that happens - and trust me, it will; it's happened to me a few times, don't think it won't happen to you - have a standby player you are ready and willing to draft. For example - in the first round, you want Priest Holmes, and he is taken the pick before yours. What do you do? Take an Edgerrin James or a Willis McGahee. It doesn't even have to be in the same position - level 1: Tomlinson; level 2: Manning; level 3: Holmes. Just be prepared for anything.

Second, it has to do with draft etiquette. No one likes a guy (or girl) who takes the full 90 seconds to decide on a pick. Couldn't get more annoying. If you have an idea of the player you wanna take, and he's there, take him. You have a good five minutes to decide on your next pick - don't waste them.

Oh, one more thing - if you do a live draft, SHOW UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't tell you how many live drafts I've shown up to, and at least half of the owners don't bother to show up. If you care about fantasy football, and the feelings and respect of the other owners, don't sign up for a live draft league unless you are going to be at the live draft. You know? Why bother? It's also more fun that way, if I do say so myself - at least if you're there picking, we can laugh at you for a bad pick, or applaud a good pick.

Anyway ... that's my philosophy to drafting for Fantasy Football, in a nutshell. I don't know if that'll help anyone who reads this, but that's how I roll.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home