Paulo's Place

Anything - and I mean anything - on the wacky, bored mind of Paulo Camacho.

Wednesday, September 27, 2006

A Strange Anniversary ...

I just realized today is September 27th. It's been awhile since I've actually thought about this, but it was fairly recently that I was deathly feared this day to my very core ... for the stupidest of reasons.

Some of you already know this story, so I shall tell it briefly. It was the subject of many a speech and writing while I was at Solano College. It was ridiculous, really - it was March 2004, and I was reading a Maxim Magazine (mind you, it was an "April Fools" issue) with Paris Hilton on the cover. There was an article claiming there was a "63.8 chance an asteroid would strike the earth September 27th". I knew it had to be a joke - some ploy fake headline to talk about what would happen if an asteroid hit Earth. But the paranoid, conspiracy-theory part of my mind just took me over, and I ACTUALLY thought we would all be staring death and destruction in the face in late September, 2004. The thought of Earth - my family, my friends, and the rest of the world, life itself - snuffed out by a renegade space rock just when the school year was starting up scared the shit out of me. I probably gave myself some unnecessary ulcers, considering all the time I wasted worrying about it.

It took awhile to convince myself that nothing was going to happen September 27, 2004. I did hear about the Asteroid Toutatis coming NEAR Earth on September 29, 2004, which eased my mind a bit.

Then, 9/27/04 came and went ... and, obviously, we were all still here.

9/29/04 also came and went ... and, obviously, we were all still here.

So, I went on living my life. It was all so silly - the rational side of me must have kept me in check, because I did nothing drastic in those couple months where I actually thought there was an asteroid with our name on it about to hit us. I call it laziness - but, that's beside the point. The point is, it's a stupid anecdote I can tell (with some embarrassment) for the rest of my life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home