Paulo's Place

Anything - and I mean anything - on the wacky, bored mind of Paulo Camacho.

Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Kings to Leave Sacramento?

I’m sure most of you that follow the Sacramento Kings have heard by now – talks are now underway about a proposed new stadium to be built in Sacramento. The Maloofs are now basically threatening to leave the city, and taking the team with them, if a new arena deal isn't reached. Rumored new locales include Las Vegas and Anaheim. No telling when they plan on the move, but all signs point to very soon - within the next year or so.

Now, here's the deal. I, for one, don't want them to leave. Obviously - I'm a Kings fan, and the Kings are our sports team. To see them as the Las Vegas Kings, or the Anaheim Kings just wouldn't be right. Besides being the State Capitol, the Kings are all Sacramento has going for them right now.

Speaking purely as a sports fan, and a Kings fan (I'll admit, not lifelong, but still passionate), the people have to realize what they are potentially willing to give up if they don't come up with a new arena deal. I mean, Sacramento has had this team since I was born (1984, for those of you who don't know my birth date). And, for as long as I've been living around here, Kings fans have been loyal throughout its long, and in most cases sad, history. I mean, year in and year out, the Kings have had some of the most loyal fans in the NBA - they have been terrible for the majority of their stay in Sacramento, and still the fans keep coming. Especially in the last seven years, you would rarely find less than a sold-out game every time the Kings play in ARCO Arena.

We Kings fans have just seen a team renaissance these last four years that we hope can last for a long time to come. The team came within a Robert Horry three, a few bad referee calls and a few missed free throws of an NBA Finals berth and, arguably, an NBA Championship. Imagine that: for your team to be so close to a title, you could taste it, and just a few years later, you're willing to give that team up. Anywhere else, it would be a travesty, a sham and a mockery (a traveshamockery!) - this wouldn't even be a question: "You need something to keep our team here? You got it!" How could we possibly think about giving up something so important to the identity of this city?

Now, I realize that, I guess, there is some sort of majority of Sacramento Residents that don't really give a damn either way about Sacramento having a sports team. Most of these people aren't willing to pay higher taxes to fund a new stadium just for a sports team. I can understand that argument - "Why should I fund a stadium for something I don't even care about?" So, up to this point, my arguments have been completely moot. Now, I suppose I could understand your point of view. I get that there are people not willing to support major sports in this city ... I guess.

But, here's something that you people need to understand - this new arena will not just be for the Kings. What people have to understand is that: 1) Arco Arena is the only major entertainment venue we have in the tri-county area, and especially in Sacramento (I mean, seriously, could you imagine U2, or the Rolling Stones or Ringling Bros. Barnum & Bailey Circus performing at Hornet Stadium?), and 2) ARCO is dying. It's on its last legs, and it's beginning to fall apart. At least, that's what I keep hearing - in a couple of years, it will no longer be capable of holding any major entertainment venue safely.

In the end, I guess, here's what it all boils down to: Keep the Kings in Sacramento. Give the Maloofs what they want. If a new stadium's all they're asking for, fine. The citizens can pay a few extra tax dollars to keep entertainment in this city. Something's gotta be done, or Sacramento will just be another cow town. The only niche we'll have then is that we have the Governator. Now, seriously: is that what we want Sacramento to be known for?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home